Wednesday, June 13, 2007

From the Rest Vehicle

Hey, everyone! I’m right in the middle of my rotation (thanks to Felix)... 8 on, 4 off, 4 on, 4 off, 4 on, 4 off, 8 on, then 12 off! So far, two of our crew teams (3 people each) and two riders have taken off for their 12-hour rests… it has helped tremendously. Danny (veteran of all three TDL RAAMs) says he feels great… and is far more rested than ever before.

I, on the other hand, am struggling a bit. With the start of the race and all 4 of us on the course, I am taking the last rotation off. That will be in another 20 hours. So I had an 8-hour shift all night, then slept 4 hours like a baby in the follow-vehicle.

I took the first big descent heading into Salton City last night just before dusk. 10 miles at 42 mph around tight curves… almost out-ran the support vehicles! Then we had the longest transition in RAAM history… Lorenzo wasn’t out yet when I came by, so he chased me for 2 miles until one of our crew vehicles drove up to tell me he was back there!

This is great fun… with an awesome crew. Everyone is so helpful and kind to each other. (let’s see how long that lasts!!). Having such a competitive spirit, I wish we were doing a little better in the standings, but that is not nearly as important as our cause! All the riders are giving their best, and that is what counts. I did get into a sprint race with a member of team 412 last night. He passed me with 5 miles to TS 3, and I didn’t like that! So I chased him down, passed him back, and we sprinted to the time station. I won! Then about a quarter mile later, the crew told me to take a wrong turn… and 412 got us back! It was great fun while it lasted, and Kristen was cheering me on from the follow-vehicle like we were in the Tour deFrance!! Oh well, our own little race during RAAM. By the way, I blew up and paid for that sprint about 4 hours later (and it was worth it!)

Dave and Chris are both looking extremely good in the climbing sections. We’ll send some pictures as soon as Kristen comes back from her 12-hour rest and my phone / internet access!

I love this RACE! It’s very, very hard with a lot of suffering, but it’s the journey and the people that we do it with that make it so fun. I think EVERYONE should do RAAM at least once… haha.
p.s. Felix, the FM Radios are awesome! Thanks for finding them. Wish you were here.

3 comments:

NOR8560 said...

Greetings from Vacaville, Ca.

Hey it has been fun watching you guys race... I have really enjoyed the web site... I have a vested interest with you (she is about 5'4")... and it has been a joy to watch and listen to her grow... I pray that this finds you all in good spirits and good health... Honey what you are doing has encouraged my niece Katlynn to join a similar type of race for her papa, and just think baby she got encouraged by you when you were sharing at dinner the other night how you were so excited about this race, it started a fire in her little heart to race for her papa who has cancer... Mom and Dad love you to pieces, for the excitement and your commitment to the TDL cause...

See this is proof you never know whose life you are going to change just by sharing at dinner ... a 12 year old girl who looks up to you, caught a Martin Lurther King vision of "I HAVE A DREAM," and she listened and watched your face glow, and now she is reaching into her unseen to pull down that miracle, which at present cannot be seen....But she refuses to give up and you honey lit the fire...

We never know who is listening or watch us run this race...Paul said "we are encompassed by a great cloud of witnesses..." my extended family across America has been watching you race and it is bringing about a renewal of, I must be my brothers keeper...

I have something I would like to give to you all ... "RIDE WITH PRIDE! YOU ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE EVEN WHEN YOU CANNOT SEE IT ..."

I am involved with you not by chance but by God's sovereign plan and it has been my privilege to share TDL's Vision and Dreams with my co-laborers across America... And you are touching their lives... thank you for the privilege of being a friend to TDL... And it's riders and crews...

The Gala was awesome, but this is ride with you, is the bomb!!! Please take care of my baby... I will see you on the flip side, and Ladies and Gentlemen it has been an honor to get to know you and your dream and call you friend...

May the Peace, Strength and Rest of God go with you the riders and crews of TDL & RAAM and keep you safe... "Struggles are a proof you have not been conquered!!!" Lives will be affected by your gift of Love and Commitment.... I want to thank you for your commitment and passion for TDL…

"RIDE WITH PRIDE!"

Vacaville, Ca.

RWC

Sleep tight BB you sounded like you needed it baby... Rock on Jason!!! I am following you guys...

foodiemaniac said...

We're all rooting for you at Eccolo in Berkeley! (Especially the pastry department) Keep it up!!!

coreycwalker said...

Keep up the great work! I'm following all TDL progress on the RAAM site. Some great pics online too!

Stay safe. We're all very proud of you & your cause!

Take care,
Corey