Friday, June 15, 2007

Over the Mountains...

Friday, 6/15 – 9:29 pm (RAAM Time)

It seems like days since my last blog, but it was just last night in South Fork. While I slept for about 4-1/2 hours, the guys made great time up Wolf Creek Pass. We woke up at 1:00 AM when Kristen called to tell us they were 11 miles past South Fork, so we got up quickly and jumped in the car. We all met up for our next 12-hour transition around 3:00 AM, and there was a little conflict going on through the radios… nothing major… all part of RAAM.

As soon as we started the next shift (8 hours for me), we raced Team 402 for a few hours. Finally we passed them for good up the mountain pass. It was 42 degrees… very cold, windy, and dark. This was one descent that no one really wanted to take! We climbed the last mountain pass – about 3,000’ climb in 12 miles with Chris, Lorenzo, and me all transitioning about every 2 miles.

Danny’s “transition memo” is working great. We have cleaned up our transitions to very minimal time, but the “tired factor” is also creeping up. I will say that everyone is much more rested than previous years, but we are still sleep-derived!

It was great to come down the final descents out of the Rockies… such a milestone. Lorenzo took the first big descent at about 57 mph! Then I took the 2nd half for about 10 miles of downhill. We have passed 2 teams, and I think we are making ground on the other teams. I think our rest protocol / team transitions is really going to pay off. They say the race really starts after the Mississippi. I will try to keep blogging throughout the trip, but no promises!

We had a couple of mishaps today… after stopping for ice in Trinidad, Virginia ran across the street to get McDonald’s for breakfast. I took off my shoes because I didn’t want to walk on the cleats, then ran across to remind her to get food for the other car. Well, you can guess what happened next. We got to the Time Station, and my shoes were on the sidewalk a block away with Lorenzo only about 2 minutes away for transition. Colette became a race car driver, and we made it back in time for transition with 5 seconds to spare!

Our big mistake today was making a wrong turn at the start of Kansas. We had turned off both GPS units because it was so easy to follow, then we made a turn at the Time Station where we should have gone straight. Thank God for the farmer that actually flagged us down to tell us that he was tracking the race and we were going north instead of east! We lost about 10 minutes, only because we got on the radio and had Chris jump on his bike from the transition point. He was already sleeping, so he threw on a T-shirt and his shoes (he already had his bibs)… looked hilarious!

This must be one of the hardest areas of RAAM… through the high desert of Colorado and into the flattest land of Kansas that I have ever seen. As I am riding, the road goes on forever… hours and hours on end. And there is a headwind… I think we are averaging just under 20 mph. I’ll be very glad when we hit Missouri some time tomorrow.

I can’t find our cable for the camera to download! I have searched in all my bags… and I am frustrated. We’ll have to send pics from our phone camera now and post the rest later.

Ok, I need to sleep for a couple of hours here in the follow vehicle until my next 4-hour shift at 12:30 AM. I am exhausted. One more 4-hour shift, then one more 4-hour rest, then my 8-hr shift before my 12-hr rest! That will start tomorrow afternoon at 4:30 pm. Talk to you then. Everyone is doing awesome!

3 comments:

NOR8560 said...

Vacaville

Way to go Team Donate Life - Race 4 Life you guys are rocking… I do not know when I have had this much fun watching you pursue your dream. I am pulling for you guys to take 9th place and then walk it on up the ladder… You have an awesome strategy and solid pace… We are so proud of all of you…!!! I wish I could be on the side of the road somewhere when you go by, I would be yelling my head off…I am posting pictures on my web site for my friends to see what TDL is all about and they are loving it… To the crew you guys are doing an awesome job it is seen in how the riders are performing… We are very proud of you and your sacrifice of love… This is what makes America so beautiful, when we all pull together peoples lives cam be affected… If my body would let me I would be out riding with you even if I had to ride a tricycle… Well that may slow you guys down so I will leave the riding to you and just cheer you on from afar… I believe the goals and objectives you have set out will be attained, just by watching your commitment to the race and others peoples lives… This is an awesome day for me too my son stepped foot back on American soil after serving our country and he too is cheering you on… He told me you never realize how great our country is and the people in like you, until you leave it…We are praying for you all daily that God’s strength, rest and safety will surround you all. Keep on riding and “Ride with pride.” Remember what we sow, we will reap in due time if we faint not…! And you definitely are an encouragement to all of us watching and cheering…

Vacaville, Ca.
RWC

Antigone said...

You guys are awesome! It's so exciting to hear the daily progress and watch you make your way across the United States. We're cheering you on every step of the way!

Jason, I caught Chuck checking in on you guys on the RAAM site. I think he secretly wishes he was racing with you. He is asking me all kinds of technical questions about your strategy and transition schedule and sleep time, etc. Let's work on him for next year, okay? ;)

I can't wait to see you guys and hear all about your wonderful adventure. I was amazed to hear that 20% of all RAAM entrants are now from TDL. You are amazing and visionary and wonderful, all of you!

Sending all our love and encouragement,

Bebe, Chuck, Sarah and Anya (who is struggling in the Race Across the Living Room Floor, but will most certainly be crawling by the time you return!)

Jocelyn said...

Hey Race4Life - you're doing just awesome! How do you manage to have such cheery, well-written comments and cute candid photos and get them posted from the middle of road? Totally great!

We're watching you every day, knowing how you're cycling (and suffering) for something you truly believe in.

You're cool guys and gals, and we're proud of you! :)

Jocelyn