Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Obstacles & Final Focus

Tuesday, 6/19 – 1:34 AM (RAAM Time)


This is my last blog… one final push to the finish. I’m too tired to write much more.

Today was my hardest day, because it was about survival. It’s amazing how your focus can change depending on your circumstances.

We finished last night strong, but the crew really started struggling with sleep deprivation. Even with our sleep rotation, the effects of a week-long race for 24 hrs / day is staggering. We are making mistakes in judgment and decision-making… nothing major, but a lot of small things that cost us time. I am sure that all teams face the same challenge. How we deal with them is what makes good teams work well together. I’m proud of our team and crew… everyone.

Mid-morning today, Vernon called on the radio to say the brakes on the transition SUV were failing. This is so critical to our strategy! We jumped into action and considered all the alternatives. At one point, we almost flew some crew members ahead to Atlantic City. Bottom Line: we lost the use of a vehicle and sent 4 crew members with this vehicle up to Columbus, Ohio. We didn’t lose the brakes, but we lost the power braking ability. We can’t use the car any more. In spite of this, we’ve got to keep moving with no lost time. Forget the other teams. Forget our sleep rotation. We’ve got to finish the race. Our crew and a new vehicle will be back by 10:00 pm… we hope.

We spent most of the day and into the evening with a single transition vehicle to do both follow and drop-off. We had to use stop transitions in order to meet the RAAM rules. We went to a three-man rotation until Chris could come back from his hotel rest. I will forego my hotel rest tonight.

While we kept our eye on the other teams, this was survival. 4 crew members short, one crew still on rest, Danny and Lee carried us through. It was so hot. Time Station 46 was almost unbearable. We blew up. I think that Lorenzo, Dave, and I all experienced some level of heat exhaustion. I just bonked. I couldn’t generate any power. My head screamed. My legs screamed. I thought I was going to fall asleep on the bike. As soon as we got in the SUV, we nearly passed out until Danny or Lee had the bike out again and told us to go.

But we crawled through… 16.54 mph. Our slowest Time Station, but not as bad as I expected. It actually gave us some hope that we can recover and still finish strong. We hydrated as much as we could. As the temperature finally dropped, we increased our strength and our speed. By 5:00 this evening, we felt almost fully recovered. We started to attack the climbs…because we have a lot of them in the next 12 hours… still 32,000’ of climbing before the finish line.

We’re changing our strategy for the finish. Rather than 12 hours, I will take a 6 hour rest in the follow vehicle. As soon as I am able, we will split into two transition teams… Dave and I in one, with Lorenzo and Chris in the other. 4 hours on, and 4 hours rest. Back and forth. We’ll finish the last 150 miles or so all together. We’ll re-group by 5:00 AM and head strong for the finish.

I think we still have a couple of teams to catch. We still need to out-run Bob.

See you in Atlantic City. We hope to be there before dark tomorrow night.

P.s. It’s 1:28 AM. Chris is on a 9% grade descent headed for TS 49 – 38 mph in the dark when Danny calls ahead to tell us a ”Semi” is headed our way. This will be a tough night.

6 comments:

foodiemaniac said...

You're sooo close!!! Hang in there, guys!!!

Unknown said...

Jason it is hard to believe what you and your crew are going through. The endurance throughtout this venture is outstanding. With all your heart you will all make it. I know it is easyier stated than done. See you in A/C.

Artemis said...

This team has such great heart. What about Bob? well don't forget there is another Bob back in California that Dave is riding for - and he is so grateful for your endurance through this last week.. it is so amazing what you have accomplished to raise awareness for those of us who "wait while you ride."
Words we live by " Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another"- Walter Elliot. Enjoy the finish of this race and all it stands for.

NOR8560 said...

Vacaville, Ca.

Well guys this is it…!!! You have done an outstanding job and you have made this race a blast to follow… I know it has been a long ride but I do believe it will be a fruitful and rewarding one for all of you… Your enthusiasm and your commitment is a truly remarkable and it speaks of your character loudly. Albert Einstein wrote this;

“Only a life lived for others is a life worth while.”

I really have enjoyed this journey with all of you…. And thank you for taking care of my bundle of Joy, she has made me feel like I am there with you as she has been sharing her experiences on this Ride for Life with me. Oh, and I would like to thank Brenda(my baby) and Kristen for the early morning wake up call yesterday…. I have never heard two women laugh so hard, as when they realized they had called me at 3:00 a.m. in the morning my time and 6:00a.m. their time….LOL LOL LOL They had me rolling so hard that I woke up my entire family laughing with them…. LOL As we were all together having spent Fathers day with my dad who has cancer… It was a great day with him and family… I don’t know when I have heard him laugh so hard as when he came in to check on me to see if I was dreaming or talking to myself at 3 a.m. in the morning only to find me up at the computer reading off stats to Brenda and Kristen…. LOL LOL LOL

I cannot believe how fast you guys have crossed America but you have and it is awesome… I mean I have traveled all over the United States but have done it in an air conditioned car at 70 mph… And I thought that was a feat…. What a joke… What you men and women have done is nothing more than spectacular… What you and your crews have done to raise awareness for organ donations and saving lives will be rewarded greatly.

Grace Valley it was a joy watching you cross the finish line last night you gentlemen have also done an outstanding job… Boy was I rooting for you guys the closer and closer you got I kept saying that is one of our teams…. They did it …. 2nd place that is so cool…

Just think your first reward will be around 7 to 9 tonight when you get to go to bed and sleep… So on behalf of all my friends and family we say thank you for your love and commitment guys!!! You have put on a valiant effort and no matter where you come in at in the final standings you will always be number 1 in my book… It has been a joy… Can we do this again next year…?????

You have represented TDL with unwavering dedication…

All the Team Donate Life teams you have been an inspiration to follow… May the Peace, Rest and Strength of God comfort you, as you have so freely given to others… Your labor is not in Vain…It will be fruitful you will see…!!!

Vacaville,
RWC

Sheila said...

Congratulations on crossing that finish line! What an amazing accomplishment. Enjoy your rest tonight!

NOR8560 said...

Congratulation's guys you did it and wow it was an awesome race to watch.... Baby I am so proud of you... I miss you come home...LOL

Me and david watched you guys cross the line... the best we could by internet.... get some rest..

I will see you when you get home!!!!

Vacaville
RWC