Saturday, June 16, 2007

What about Bob...

Sunday, 6/17 – 12:29 am (RAAM Time)

Bob is fast. Really fast. His team, #402- Burns & Trauma, caught us some place in Kansas about 5:00 AM. This is the same team that we beat up the mountain pass and thought we were over an hour ahead. Bob came flying by me on a mission. I am clearly not as strong as Bob. But Bob doesn’t know my spirit. I was close to my last rotation… 4 hours on, 4 hours rest, 8 hours on… then the hotel for 12 hours. Today would be a great test of endurance in the midst of lactic acid build-up and incredible pain that all of us are experiencing. It would be a bigger test of my heart. The rest of the race can wait until tomorrow. Today is all about Bob. Bob will get tired. Bob needs his teammates, and we already beat them once. Let’s get it on, Bob.

It started out with me and Chris, then Dave and Lorenzo, then me and Lorenzo, then me and Dave. The whole team. None of us wanted to let them pass us. But Bob just did. We all agreed… let’s take these guys today. Just look at our time splits… we jumped to the challenge. When Bob transitioned to their next rider, we passed them. When Bob got back on, he passed us. Our crew started cheering and yelling, pounding our palms on the car doors in Lorenzo’s patented cheer, “GO, GO, GO, GO, GO” You have to say it with just the right amount of Italian flair… and make your eyes really big and animated. He has taught us all this new technique.

It was getting hot and humid this morning as we came out of the flat lands into the gentle rollers in Kansas. And the headwinds were strong. I hate the wind. Today it made me stronger. I don’t know how many times our teams passed each other… maybe 15 times? It was the hardest I’ve ever ridden my bike. After my first 4 hour shift, I collapsed in the follow vehicle for my 4-hour rest. I slept almost the entire time. Virginia actually put a sleeping bag on the floor of our SUP and slept there while I stretched out in the entire back seat from leg cramps. But I knew that I was coming back… and I would give everything I had – just 1% more with each transition. I thought about heat dehydration, so I drank as much as I could. I took in as much carbohydrate as my stomach could take… I just didn’t want to bonk. When Colette woke me up for my final 8 hours, we were still neck and neck with 402. It was time for me and Lorenzo.

If anybody’s got heart, it’s Lorenzo. He isn’t our strongest rider, but he won’t be intimidated. He just plain got to it. Bob was resting, and Lorenzo passed their other rider. It was unbelievable… He transitioned to me with a long stretch on the Interstate, and I gunned it. Everything I had to keep a lead before Bob came back. Back to Lorenzo for 7 miles. Off the Interstate and we don’t even see 402 anywhere. In fact, we start to see the transition vehicles for 412, so we know we are catching other teams as well. We transition one more time before the time station – Unbelievably, Kristen comes flying up past me in the Transition Vehicle. “Bob just got off the Interstate, and he’s flying to catch you. GO!” My legs hurt so bad… I still had 6 hours left to ride. Ok, Bob… you may be faster, but I’ll race you to the Time Station. Then I see a signal light. Its green and still 200 yards ahead. Ric Morales in the transition vehicle with Kristen stays in the intersection as long as possible to keep it green for me. Everyone is in this race, and everyone is yelling.

The light turns red, and here comes Bob. We have 30 seconds for me to ask how in the world they caught us after an hour lead and get his name), and he says that we crushed them in the mountains. (Dave and Chris are both great climbers). Light turns green, and I start sprinting. Bob probably thinks I’m crazy. Hey, buddy… remember we’re going all the way to Atlantic City? No… right now the ONLY thing in my mind is the time station 1 mile ahead. But another light turned red just one block before the time station, and we crossed at exactly the same time.

Now this race within The Race really heats up. Lorenzo is almost ready for his rest, and I have 4 more hours. Bob disappeared… must be on his rest rotation. We start up a climb, and their new rider passes me. That’s it. Now I’m pissed. I haven’t worked all morning to beat Bob, then get passed by his teammate. I charge up the hill after him, more determined than ever. This is my favorite moment of the race! Just before the top, I transition to Lorenzo, and he takes off like a bat out of hell… right past their rider! This guy just motivated me like never before. Unbelievable, Lorenzo. You earned this rest! When Lorenzo transitioned back to me, I flew. Gave it everything I had. I focused every ounce of concentration into my quads, and I raced like it was the only race in the world. I saw the yellow bracelet I am wearing on my wrist for Felix, and I said this one’s for you, buddy. 24 mph into the wind. We haven’t seen 402 since.

An hour later, we caught 412 – JDRF. They didn’t like it, so they took off and dropped us. Mark is their fast rider, and we had a blast waving to their riders and crew as we started our 2nd race of the day! It’s on again! Dave came back into the rotation, and we chased them down. They told us to enjoy the lead while we had it. We told them we’ll see you in Atlantic City. After another 2 hours, it was 5:30 pm, and my rotation was over. We have caught and passed two teams today. Our team was incredible… everyone. I am beyond exhausted. My legs ache to the bone. But I was able to push to a new level that I have never seen before. I am not the fastest rider on this race by any means, but I have the spirit of RAAM. It’s the mental challenge, the physical challenge, the limits of our abilities, plus that extra 1% more. I belong in RAAM, and so does my team, and so does my crew. Today was the most incredible experience I have ever experienced in an athletic endeavor. What a great feeling!

Tomorrow is a new race day. My teammates are racing through the night while they let me rest (and Im blogging!).

I wonder if I’ll see Bob tomorrow.

Atlantic City, here we come.

3 comments:

NOR8560 said...

Vacaville, Ca.

First of all to all the riders of TDL I would like to wish you all a Happy Fathers Day… You guys are doing an awesome job and I mean awesome… Jason I loved reading your blog this morning it was really exciting and I am not even in the race… I am so looking forward to following your progress off and on today…. When I talked to Brenda last night and she was sharing the race with me, it was really cool to hear the enthusiasm in her voice it makes this race even more fun to follow…I know you all must be feeling the pain of non-stop riding… But your pain is not in vain…. Where do I find more pictures of you guys racing? The ones you have been posting are really awesome, they add that extra dimension to the race that makes it fun to follow…You guys are truly an encouragement that life’s obstacles can be overcome. I am getting to share with my friends what your vision is all about and it totally awesome to be reading their responses as they follow you too. So when you all feel like you are alone you’re not we may not be able to be riding with you but our hearts are with you all. I am glad you guys are having fun doing what you love… one writer wrote “A merry heart doeth good like medicine…” And how true that is… Well you guys have a great Fathers Day!!! Take care of my bundle of Joy for me, I know she is a worker… Honey I am praying that all the flowers we planted will still be alive for you when you get home…LOL I got your backside here and the boys are doing fine…. You enjoy this experience it will be something you will never forget… And there will be times when you will be driving down the road just busting up as the memories you are making flood your mind….This is truly what life is all about…. Praying for you all daily and following your progress….

Vacaville
RWC

foodiemaniac said...

I love you guys. Happy Fathers Day!

Jocelyn said...

That's some mighty fine riding AND writing Jason. Way to go!

Jocelyn